Friday, March 28, 2014

Speed Dating- Part 2

So after discovering that speed dating is not my preferred method of meeting people, I decided to give it a shot with my 2 matches. We will call them Ben (see Guy #2 from previous post) and Jerry (Guy #6). 

Communication started via email with Jerry the day after the matches were made. For one reason or the other we were just not able to coordinate agendas. Either he was house hunting or I was stuck at work or whatever other thing the universe had against us. 

I should have taken it as a sign.


Stubborn girl that I am, I gave it another shot at meeting him even though I was sick. It was about 2 weeks after the event. We met in downtown to go for some drinks on a Friday night. He opened the restaurant door for me, which was nice. 


One point for Gryffindor.

We sat down, ordered our drinks and started talking about work, family and such. Everything was going great, so far I hadn't felt the need to have a friend bail me out of my date. I was having a great time but wasn't completely sold on the fact that he was about my same height. I'm 5'3", it really isn't much of a science being taller than me. Yeah, I was wearing heels and looked about an inch taller than him but still, I'd much rather be hit by a baseball than give up my shoes...I like tall guys and feel safe with one, nothing I can do about it. Sorry, not sorry. 

I was set on not putting up a wall because of this tiny little detail. After all, he did have a very sexy accent and his eyes were pretty. He still had something going on for him physically. Putting all of that behind me and focusing on the nice time we were having, I agreed to go out with him a second time. 

We kept texting and I should've read the signs that he was one of those guys who gets attached easily. Like, really fast. I have labeled myself as a commitment-phobe because you will probably not meet anyone more afraid of a lifelong relationship than I am. Why? I have no clue. It is what it is but I am trying to change that. 

Anyway. Back to this dude. 

I got cute texts every morning and so far I was liking the attention. We finally went on our second date, chose a cute Italian restaurant and as soon as our food hit the table I saw it. Or should I say heard it? He chewed with his mouth open. Like, can't-live-like-this noisy. Impossible, no way Jose, I cannot, oh my gosh.

I tried my best to ignore it thinking it shouldn't be a deal breaker and that it could be fixed. We survived finished dinner and went to a bar across the street to grab a beer. Overall he was a nice, smart guy, cute and funny. I should be hooked, right? Wrong. Hooked I was not. To make matters worse, I accidentally led him to believe I was. 

Here's how it happened:

We picked a couch and sat down, kept chatting the night away, when suddenly his hand is on my knee. I gave no reaction whatsoever. Mistake #1. 

10 minutes later he made the I-am-yawning-and-will-stretch-my-arm-across-your-back move. Again, I did nothing. Mistake #2. 

After a couple more songs he went for it. He grabbed my hand. I did not let go. Mistake #3.

Now, if you must know I was actually not minding it much but at the same time wanted to figure out a way to disengage myself without being rude. 

We started talking about the whole speed dating thing and he says "well, now that I've met you I hope I don't ever have to do it again". I gave a nervous laugh.  

Finally, after convincing him it was time for me to leave because I LIVE IN ANOTHER COUNTRY AND NEED TO CROSS THE BORDER and listening to a few "but I don't see you that often", we walked to my car. As we were walking I noticed it again. He was short. I was wearing shorter heels than last time, but still. 

This was too much. The chewing, the height, the touchyfeeliness. This could go no further. 

I opened my car door and before I knew it he says "I'll miss you". 


I flipped on the inside and not in a good way. How can you possibly miss me after just our second date? I panicked and heard myself uttering the words "me too". 

WHAT?! 

No you won't, Alex. You barely know him and you can't take it back. *sigh* This was Mistake #4, by the way.

He leans in for a kiss and I manage to discretely turn away so he only grazed my cheek. I said goodnight and made a run for it. 

Yep. That was the end of guy #6. 

I really do hope he finds a nice girl because in all honesty, he deserves one. 

Stay tuned for a follow up on my speed dating prospects ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment